Persepolis is the poignant story of a young girl coming-of-age in Iran during the Islamic Revolution. It is through the eyes of precocious and outspoken nine-year-old Marjane that we see a people’s hopes dashed as fundamentalists take power — forcing the veil on women and imprisoning thousands. Clever and fearless, she outsmarts the “social guardians” and discovers punk, ABBA and Iron Maiden. Yet when her uncle is senselessly executed and as bombs fall around Tehran in the Iran/Iraq war, the daily fear that permeates life in Iran is palpable. As she gets older, Marjane’s boldness causes her parents to worry over her continued safety. And so, at age fourteen, they make the difficult decision to send her to school in Austria. Vulnerable and alone in a strange land, she endures the typical ordeals of a teenager. In addition, Marjane has to combat being equated with the religious fundamentalism and extremism she fled her country to escape.
Directed by Vincent Paronnaud & Marjane Satrapi
Audio: Original French and English dubbed version
Subtitles: English, Spanish
- English Language Version featuring the voices of Chiara Mastroianni, Sean Penn, Catherine Deneuve, Gena Rowlands and Iggy Pop.
- The Hidden Side Of Persepolis
- Behind The Scenes Of Persepolis
- 2007 Cannes Film Festival Press Conference
- Animated Scene Comparisons With Commentary By Marjane Satrapi
- Commentary On Select Scenes By Marjane Satrapi, Vincent Paronnaud And Chiara Mastroianni
95 minute NTSC Full HD 1080 video
Sony Pictures Classics, 2008