Taboo was a comics anthology edited by Steve Bissette that was designed to feature edgier and more adult comics than could be published through mainstream publishers. The series began as a horror anthology, but soon branched out into other genres as well. This issue features a cover by Moebius, the first English language publication of Jodorowsky & Moebius’ Eyes of the Cat and new interviews with both creators. Other highlights: Jodorowsky & Spain’s El Topo; Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell’s From Hell Chapter 3; Neil Gaiman & Michael Zulli’s Babycakes; Elaine Lee & Charles Vess’ Morrigan Tales; and, stories by Charles Burns, S. Clay Wilson, Mike Hoffman, Rick Taylor and Andrew Robinson.
(All stories introduced by Stephen R. Bissette and include a creator bibliography.)
- Dreaming And The Law by Phillip Hester
- 1963 by Dave Sim
- ‘untitled’ by Charles Burns
- Babycakes by Neil Gaiman & Michael Zulli
- Cholesterol by Molly Eyre, D’Israeli & Andrew Rowbottom
- Davey’s Dream by Mark Askwith & R. G. Taylor
- Les Yeux Du Chat (Eyes of the Cat) Alejandro Jodorowsky & Moebius (Jean Giraud)
- El Topo by Alejandro Jodorowsky & Spain Rodriguez
- Retinal Worm by S. Clay Wilson
- La Fugue (The Escape) by P. Foerster
- Blue Angel by Tim Lucas & Stephen Blue
- Morrigan Tales by Elaine Lee & Charles Vess
- These Things Happen by Rick Grimes
- Neither Seen Nor Heard by L. Roy Aiken & Mike Hoffman
- From Hell Chapter Three: Blackmail or Mrs. Barrett by Alan Moore & Eddie Campbell
Front cover art by Moebius
Back cover art by Brian Sendelbach
Stephen R. Bissette won many industry awards as cartoonist, writer, editor and publisher. A pioneer graduate of the Joe Kubert School of Cartoon & Graphic Art, he currently teaches at the Center for Cartoon Studies and is renowned for Saga of the Swamp Thing, Taboo (from which From Hell, Lost Girls, and Throat Sprockets came), ‘1963,’ Tyrant, co-creating John Constantine (inspiring the film Constantine), and creating the world’s second 24- Hour Comic, invented by Scott McCloud as a challenge for Bissette. He illustrates books and has authored fiction (including the Stoker Award-winning Aliens: Tribes) and non-fiction (co-authoring Comic Book Rebels, The Monster Book: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and solo articles/essays for books and magazines). His papers reside in HUIE Library’s Special Collections, Henderson State University in Arkadelphia, Arkansas. He recently contributed the short story “Copper” to The New Dead (St. Martin’s Press, 2010), co-authored The Prince of Stories: The Many Worlds of Neil Gaiman (with Christopher Golden and Hank Wagner; St. Martin’s Press, 2008) and illustrated The Vermont Monster Guide (University Press of New England, 2009), and is currently packaging and co-editing (with Tim Stout) Tales of the Uncanny: A Naut Comics History, Volume 1 (About Comics, 2011).
NOTE on condition: These books are the very last case of Taboo #4 in circulation. They were purchased directly from Taboo’s editor and publisher Stephen R. Bissette. Last few left! Some have scuffing on the covers and spine.
168 page black and white paperback with color covers
SpiderBaby Grafix, 1990