The debut issue of Ron Wimberly’s annual art tabloid on identity and visual culture, LAAB Magazine. LAAB #0: Dark Matter features a wide variety of comics, articles, illustrations, interviews and artworks exploding the lethal tropes of black representation in science fiction and popular mythology.
The debut issue is jam-packed with:
- An interview with musician and actor Saul Williams
- A conversation with graphic artist Trenton Doyle Hancock
- James Romberger on Jean-Michel Basquiat
- A discussion with the poster artist Alexandra Bell
- A critical analysis of George Lucas’s THX 1138
- Ronald Wimberly’s visual tribute to Sun Ra
- A review of BLACK, the new comic from Black Mask Studios
- Over a dozen pages of comics and illustration by Ronald Wimberly
- …and much more!
44 page 16×22.25” full color three-section broadsheet newspaper
Beehive Books, 2018